Spring Break didn't find me lying on the beach. It didn't find me traveling outside of the Midwest, either. Instead, it found me in Nebraska. First, it was West in Eustis. Then back East on to Kearney and Lincoln, North to Omaha and finally South to Beatrice. "I've been everywhere," by Johnny Cash doesn't quite summarize my travels, but it sure felt like it.
I began traveling on Friday with my boyfriend back to his hometown, Eustis, for the weekend. We did all the things you'd expect kids to do out in the middle of nowhere. Go drinking, fishing and shoot stuff. You know, the usual. Although, I preferred to shoot cans while he shot critters who swam, ran or flew.
Then Monday was quite the trip. The day started with an interview at 9:30 a.m. on NTV to promote my sorority's philanthropy event. The thing is, the station was an hour drive away, and the alarm was set wrong, so I didn't wake up until 8 a.m. So now, I have 20 minutes to shower, dress, apply makeup and do my hair. Great.
After throwing on clothes and attepmpting to look decent, I hit the road towards Axtell with a package of brown sugar pop-tarts, a bottle of water and a kiss goodbye in tote.
To my relief, I arrived on time. The interview was, well, interesting. The hosts were very energetic women that smiled a little too wide for the cameras. The interview began with a description the event and why we hold it. Simple enough.
But, the host asked the most random question: What is recruitment, or rush, like? And it was directed to me. I'm not sure how that tied into holding a dodgeball tournament, but the rule is you should be ready for anything on live television. For most of the interview my head was in a fog, probably from the adrenaline-filled race I'd been running since I woke up late, but I was able to answer the question vaguely and simply enough to fully answer the question, prevent boring the viewers and keep the Greek system in a positive light. You know what they say, it takes one person to ruin it for everyone.
After the sit-down interview, it was time to play dodgeball. I'm not kidding. We lined up the three balls we brought along and a cameraman whistled to signal start. The first time we played the woman from California, who had never heard of dodgeball, leaped onto all of the balls and refused to give them up. We continued trying to play and explain the rules, but it ended up being a contest between the hosts while my sorority sister and I stood there awkwardly.
From the interview, I continued East to Lincoln to meet with my family at the Nebraska Heart Institute Hospital where my grandpa had heart surgery. I'm happy to say he is doing well, although he isn't very happy about the new diet.
After supper, I stayed the night in Lincoln with my sister and left for Omaha in the morning for an internship interview. The interviewing process wasn't so bad. What got me was the press release I had 20 minutes to write. It wouldn't have been such a big deal, except that the brochure didn't have much information to go off of.
Once finished writing, I thanked them and finally headed home to Beatrice. For the rest of my break, I suffered a sinus infection and wrote a 12 page paper. After all that traveling in such a brief time, I was relieved to have an excuse to stay in and sleep. Spring Break may not have found me lying on the beach, but I was sure dreaming about it in my cozy Nebraska bed.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nice lead!
ReplyDelete